About Engineers Ireland
The STEPS progamme is working to influence positive trends in engineering graduate numbers output and see an increase in the number of students entering first year STEM, and in particular third level engineering programmes.
Carry out school visits to STEPS registered schools who are participating in the STEPS Young Engineers Award. At the visits, you will discuss engineering, your role as an engineer and give advice on students’ projects.
1. Attend Young Engineers Award training.
2. Visit a STEPS registered school during the week of 25th November to 30th November.
3. Complete evaluation survey after the visit has taken place.
Times and Commitment:
1. 2 hour training with the STEPS team in October at pre-arranged date and location.
2. Prepare for the visit if necessary.
3. Travel time.
4. Visit (average 2 hours).
5. Volunteer party (5th December in Engineers Ireland).
What's required for this position
Professional engineering experience or possess/study a qualification in engineering.
An interest in raising awareness of engineering in your community.
An ability to motivate and communicate with 3rd and 4th class students.
To arrange their own transport to and from the school.
To respect the STEPS volunteer policy and child protection policy.
Fluent English required.
- Education/ Training
- General Admin/ Office Support
- Personable Skills
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 1 month
Hours required: 4hrs Monthly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
At schools nationwide.
Screening details for this role:
- Informal Interviews
- Application Form
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
Part of a nationwide community of volunteer engineers.CPD credits.Inspiring children as a role model. Fun visits. Volunteer Christmas Party.