About ALONE Dublin
ALONE is a national organisation that supports and empowers older people to age happily and securely at home. We support individuals and their families, work with other organisations, and campaign nationwide to improve the lives of older people. We work with all older people, including those who are lonely, isolated, homeless, living in poverty, or are experiencing other difficulties. We support them through these challenges to help them find long term solutions.
Befriending and Support is a supported one-to-one relationship between a volunteer and an older person who has been linked in with ALONE. The ALONE Befriending and Support service provides companionship to older people who are socially isolated through a weekly volunteer visit. Volunteers also provide support with basic practical tasks. The Befriending and Support service is designed to help alleviate the negative impacts loneliness has on mental and physical health.
We are currently looking to recruit volunteers from Dublin 10, 22, 24 and North County Dublin (available during the day ideally).
The Role of the Befriending Volunteer:
• To provide companionship to an older person by visiting them at least once a week.
• To provide basic practical support for the older person where necessary. (Volunteers are not substitutes for home-help or care assistants and should not take on these roles)
• To be flexible around travelling to and from visits.
• To attend training and follow the ALONE guidelines throughout your time with ALONE.
• To attend additional training workshops and the annual volunteer social meeting.
• To support the older person when attending ALONE social activities.
• To support the older person to integrate in their community – such as encouraging them to join local groups and initiatives for older people.
• To be an advocate for the older person where necessary. This might mean making a phone call on their behalf or helping them fill in a form.
• To contact ALONE if there are concerns for the older person’s health, safety or welfare.
• To participate in ALONE volunteer surveys and assist older people in ALONE service surveys.
This role is available at any time of day depending on the older person's needs and schedule.
What's required for this position
• To have a genuine interest in Older People
• To be respectful and committed to the values and aims of ALONE
• A caring, understanding and friendly attitude
• To be patient, reliable and have good listening and communication skills
• To be non-judgemental and respect confidentiality
• All volunteers must be Garda vetted, reference checked and supply proof of address and identification.
A minimum of a year’s commitment is required.
- Hospitality/ Befriending
- Personable Skills
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 1 year
Hours required: 1hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Older person's home in Dublin
Also available in these counties
Screening details for this role:
- Formal Interview
- Garda Vetting
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Insurance cover